Thursday, February 2, 2012

School
           While Amy has been working at the clinic (and she promises that she will post a blog about her job and experiences as the doctor of Hana) I have been working with juniors at Hana High School with their preparation for the spring SAT test.  It’s what I know how to do. It’s what I’ve done.
In many ways the students I have are very similar to what I know from back home in New Hampshire. Kids are kids.  I doubt this is different world over. However there are distinctions.
First is grade performance. Although it’s a small school -graduating classes of 20 plus or minus- the top score for the previous SAT test was 440. That’s the top score. The national average is 500. So I knew from the onset that I had much to do. It’s not that the kids are dumb; as I said, kids are kids. It’s just that there are other factors.
First: Education does not seem to be a cultural priority. Families have been here for generations. Everyone is related. Large families of seven siblings or more are the norm. And then there are the aunts, uncles and grandparents all living together in the same, sometimes limited, quarters.  Education for the sake of mobility is not a societal focus. Hence, absenteeism and the dropout rate are issues.
Secondly, this is paradise, and the students are very aware of this. The temperature never gets below 64 and never above 85 –all year round; the beaches and land are beautiful; the people here have a rich culture and history; and they are the happiest people I have ever met. There is much to be satisfied  with.
I understand the attitude of questioning.  Where in the world is it better?  As an educator, this leaves me with a motivational challenge.  Sure, I could give the pitch about learning for its own sake, but in this case that doesn’t really work.  For the short time I’m here, my sole job is to push for learning not for learning’s  sake, but rather, learning to do well on a test. Clearly, I’m conflicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment